New Mexico’s Health Insurance Exchange 101
Beginning Oct 1, the Health Insurance Marketplace will make it easy for New Mexicans to compare qualified health plans, get answers to questions, find out if they are eligible for lower costs for private insurance or health programs like Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), and enroll in health coverage.
By the Numbers: Uninsured New Mexicans who are eligible for coverage through the Marketplace.
- 360,294 (21%) are uninsured and eligible
- 262,152 (73%) have a full-time worker in the family
- 148,324 (41%) are 19-34 years old
- 94,807 (26%) are White
- 3,840 (1%) are African American
- 181,410 (50%) are Latino/Hispanic
- 4,111 (1%) are Asian American or Pacific Islander
- 199,422 (55%) are male
334,341 (93%) of New Mexico’s uninsured and eligible population may qualify for lower costs on coverage in the Marketplace, including through Medicaid.
New Mexico has received $35,279,483 in grants for research, planning, information technology development, and implementation of its Health Insurance Marketplace.