Sen. Martin Heinrich, Rep. Michelle Lujan Grisham, AG Balderas, ABQ Mayoral candidates to headline ProgressNow Progressive Summit
Albuquerque – More than 300 elected officials, community organization leaders and progressive activists will convene on Saturday at the New Mexico Progressive Action Summit for New Mexico’s largest day of political action.
The one day event, hosted by ProgressNow New Mexico, pairs elected officials and community members/voters to develop policies and bills to be introduced at the legislature and in local governments statewide.
US Senator Martin Heinrich will provide the opening keynote address and Attorney General Hector Balderas will welcome attendees. Other headline events include a welcome from Congresswoman Michelle Lujan Grisham and a Albuquerque Mayoral Candidate Forum where each candidate will present a five-minute “TED talk-style” speech on the topic of “My big idea to change Albuquerque.”
This will be the first time declared candidates and persons considering running will be featured together ahead of 2017’s mayoral election.
Full details: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2017-progressive-action-summit-tickets-29939243082
Among the featured panels are:
- Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver will present on updates to our voting system to expand access and voter participation statewide.
- State Auditor Tim Keller will present on the myth of scarcity in budgeting and public policy.
- The Drug Policy Alliance will outline their proposal to put marijuana legalization before voters.
- Planned Parenthood NM, Young Women United and ProgressNowNM will present on the new challenges to women’s health and abortion access in the US and New Mexico
- 350.org, The Sierra Club, Conservation Voters NM and Environment NM will present on a new plan to increase New Mexico’s use of renewable energy and problems with a new plan to transfer federal public lands to state control for drilling.
- Equality New Mexico presents “I Am Me,” a film and discussion on emerging issues for transgender persons and transgender rights
- NEA New Mexico presents on policies to restore control to our teachers and classrooms to improve New Mexico’s education system.
- Everytown for Gun Safety presents on a new plan to close New Mexico’s background check loophole for firearm purchases.
- And 9 more panels and workshops.
“In spite of big disappointments nationally for progressives in the last election, New Mexico voters helped usher in a new wave of progressive champions in the legislature and local offices around the state,” says Pat Davis, Executive Director of ProgressNowNM.
“This will be New Mexico’s largest day of political action,” says Pat Davis, Executive Director of ProgressNowNM. “In spite of big disappointments nationally for progressives in the last election, New Mexico voters helped usher in a new wave of progressive champions in the legislature and local offices around the state.”
Media are encouraged to attend. RSVP to email@example.com for media information.