With a new Democratic majority in both houses of the State Legislature and the largest progressive caucus in state history, supporters of common-sense gun violence prevention see this as the year to pass background check legislation.
While NRA-backed legislators managed to delay and kill similar legislation in previous years, background check bills have passed in states around the country.
This year, State Representative Stephanie Garcia Richard along with State Senate Maj. Leader Peter Wirth and Sen. Richard Martinez sponsored legislation to keep New Mexicans safer by requiring background checks for gun sales.
New Mexico law currently allows unrestricted gun sales to anyone, in person or online, no questions asked. This means that criminals and people who have no business owning firearms can easily get their hands on them.
The bills, introduced in both the Senate (SB48) and House (HB50) concurrently level the playing field by closing the loophole so that all sellers, not just licensed dealers, conduct criminal background checks.
ProgressNowNM has a new organizer – Gabe Apodaca – and we’re joining up with New Mexicans to Prevent Gun Violence, Everytown and Moms Demand Action to make 2017 the year we pass this bill.
Become a citizen lobbyist to help pass these bills.
Senate Bill 48 – “Background Checks for Gun Transfers”
Sponsors: Senate Majority Leader, Peter Wirth and Senator Richard Martinez
House Bill 50 – “Background Checks for Gun Transfers”
Sponsor: Representative Stephanie Garcia Richard
- PETITION: [Senate Public Affairs Committee] Support SB48 requiring background checks on gun sales [Deadline, Tuesday Jan 31] – update (Jan 31): SB48 PASSED SPAC! Thank you! (read more)
PHONE BANKS, RALLIES & MEET-UPS
- Done! Tuesday, January 31, 12:30 PM | RSVP: Stand up for SB48 (Background Checks for Gun Sales) Bill in the State Senate Committee [RSVP]
- Done! Wednesday, February 1, 5:30 PM | Phone bank and beer for progress: Call activists to help pass background check bills [learn more] [RSVP]
- Saturday, February 4, 8:30 AM | Stand up for HB50 at the House Consumer and Public Affairs committee hearing. Taking place in the House Chamber.
- Tuesday, February 7, 5:30-8:00 PM | Phone bank and beer for progress: Call activists to help pass background check bills. Tractor Brewing at Wells Park 1800 4th St.
- Wednesday, February 8, 8:30 AM |Join us for Lobby Day at the Legislature [learn more] [RSVP]
- Thursday, Feb 9, 6:00-8:00pm | Phone Bank – Center for Peace & Justice, 1420 Cerrillos Rd. Santa Fe
- Thursday, Feb 9, 5:00-8:00pm | Phone Bank – Private Residence – message email@example.com