State, local leaders issue public letter to US Senate opposing Trump’s Pruitt for EPA
More than 50 state and local elected officials signed an open letter to New Mexico’s US Senators and Congressional delegation urging them to publicly oppose President Trump’s nominee to lead the Environmental Protection Agency.
Scroll down to join these leaders in opposing Pruitt for EPA administrator.
As Oklahoma’s Attorney General, Pruitt sued the EPA at least 14 times to oppose clean air and water rules. Mr. Pruitt also allowed Republican donors and oil industry executives to write his office’s climate change policies and official policy statement letters opposing climate change and EPA rules.
The full Senate is expected to take up his nomination in the coming weeks.
To: Sen. Tom Udall, Sen. Martin Heinrich, Cong. Ben Ray Lujan, Cong. Michelle Lujan Grisham, Cong. Steve Pearce
Dear Members of the New Mexico Congressional Delegation:
As elected officials from across New Mexico we understand the vital importance clean air and water play to the health of our communities, our children and the economic vitality of our state. That is why we write today to urge you to oppose President-elect Trump’s nominee to head the Environmental Protection Agency, Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt.
Mr. Pruitt has repeatedly sued the EPA to block clean air and clean water standards that protect the health and well-being of millions of New Mexicans. Throughout his career, Mr. Pruitt has actively worked against the mission of the agency he has been nominated to lead and he should be rejected by the Senate.
To give one especially troubling example to New Mexico where we deeply understand the need to protect our limited water resources, Mr. Pruitt has sued the EPA to overturn clean water safeguards for more than half the nation’s waterways, including streams that feed into the drinking water supplies of 117 million Americans.
Mr. Pruitt sued the EPA to overturn standards to curb mercury and other toxic air pollutants that will prevent up to 11,000 premature deaths and 130,000 asthma attacks per year. He has also sued to void standards to reduce soot and smog pollution projected to prevent up to 15,000 non-fatal heart attacks, 34,000 premature deaths, and 400,000 asthma attacks every year. These lawsuits seek to void needed clean air standards that directly benefit New Mexicans.
Mr. Pruitt also denies the overwhelming scientific consensus that climate change is real and is driven by human-made air pollution. He sued unsuccessfully to overturn the EPA’s scientific determination that carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping air pollutants are harmful. And he has sued to block the EPA from setting any limits on carbon pollution from power plants, the nation’s largest polluter.
Mr. Pruitt’s views and actions run counter to the EPA’s critical mission to protect our health and the environment and would put the health of New Mexican’s at risk. For these reasons we ask you to reject his nomination.
[Scroll down to see the list of state and local elected leaders who signed]
Add your name to this letter and we’ll send it to Senators Udall and Heinrich.
State and local elected signers:
- State Representative Deborah Armstrong, Bernalillo County
- Jim Baca, Former BLM Director, State Land Commissioner, Mayor of Albuquerque
- Jody Benson, Los Alamos School Board 2007-2011
- City Councilor Isaac Benton, Albuquerque
- Chris Calvert, Former City Councilor, Santa Fe
- State Senator Jacob Candelaria, Bernalillo County
- State Representative Gail Chasey, Bernalillo County
- David Coss, Former Mayor, Santa Fe
- City Councilor Pat Davis, Albuquerque
- Diane Denish, Lt. Governor 2003-2010
- State Representative Brian Egolf, Speaker of the New Mexico House of Representatives, Santa Fe
- State Treasurer Tim Eichenberg
- State Representative Daymon Ely, Sandoval and Bernalillo Counties
- State Representative Joanne Ferrary, Dona Ana County
- State Representative Doreen Gallegos, House Majority Whip,
- Dona Ana County County Commission Chair Paula Garcia, Mora
- State Representative Stephanie Garcia Richards, Los Alamos, Rio Arriba, Sandoval, Santa Fe Counties
- Rey Garduno, Former City Councilor, Albuquerque
- County Commissioner Billy Garrett, Dona Ana County
- City Councilor Diane Gibson, Albuquerque
- Mayor Javier Gonzales, Santa Fe
- PRC Commissioner Cynthia Hall, Bernalillo, Sandoval Counties County
- Commissioner Anna Hansen, Santa Fe
- Kathy Holian, Former County Commissioner, Santa Fe
- State Auditor Tim Keller
- State Senator Linda Lopez, Bernalillo County
- State Representative Georgene Louis, Bernalillo County
- State Representative Antonio “Moe” Maestas, Bernalillo County
- City Councilor Joseph Maestas, Santa Fe
- State Representative Javier Martinez, Bernalillo County
- State Senator Richard Martinez, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Rio Arriba, Sandoval Counties
- State Representative Bill McCamley, Dona Ana County
- State Representative Matthew McQueen, Santa Fe County
- State Senator Cisco McSorley, Bernalillo County
- State Senator Howie Morales, Catron, Grant, Socorro Counties
- County Commissioner Debbie O’Malley, Bernalillo County
- State Senator Bill O’Neil, Bernalillo County
- State Senator Jerry Ortiz y Pino, Bernalillo County
- State Senator Michael Padilla, Majority Whip, New Mexico State Senate, Bernalillo County
- Ray Powell, Former State Land Commissioner
- State Representative Angelica Rubio, Dona Ana County
- State Representative Tomas Salazar, San Miguel, Santa Fe, Torrance Counties
- State Representative Debra Sariñana, Bernalillo County
- Linda Siegle, Santa Fe Community College Board
- State Representative Nathan Small, Dona Ana County
- City Councilor Gil Sorg, Las Cruces
- State Senator Liz Stefanics, Santa Fe, Rio Arriba Counties
- State Senator Jeff Steinborn, Dona Ana County
- State Senator Mimi Stewart, Bernalillo County
- State Representative Liz Thomson, Bernalillo County
- Carmie Lynn Toulouse, Public Education Commissioner, District 3, Bernalillo County
- Secretary Of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver
- County Commissioner Vice-Chair and School Board Chair George Trujillo, Mora State
- Representative Jim Trujillo, Santa Fe County
- State Representative Linda Trujillo, Santa Fe County
- County Commissioner Rock Ulibarri, San Miguel County Commission
- State Senator Peter Wirth, Majority Leader New Mexico State Senate, Santa Fe
- State Representative Sheryl Williams Stapleton, House Majority Leader, Bernalillo County