Federal officials overseeing health programs says significantly fewer patients are receiving services from Governor Martinez’s hand-picked Arizona-based behavioral health providers since the administration abruptly cut off contracts to 15 New Mexico providers this summer.
Not surprisingly, the administration simply says that’s not true and they point to their own numbers as evidence. However, the administration has been repeatedly found to be unreliable and deceptive in their representation of data in this issue.
The. Martinez administration says a secret audit of those firms found credible evidence of Medicaid fraud by all providers but subsequent investigations have found that the audit was altered by the administration to remove findings clearing those firms and some of the administrations allegations have been found to be grossly exaggerated.
From today’s Albuquerque Journal:
SANTA FE – Federal officials who visited New Mexico behavioral health provider sites after a shake-up in the system last year say the number of people receiving services had dropped 23 percent, a figure the state disputed on Wednesday.
The state Human Services Department contended there actually has been an increase in the number of consumers getting services since Arizona companies took over.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, which oversees Medicaid and is part of the Department of Health & Human Services, cited the 23 percent figure and called it a concern in a Dec. 24 letter to state officials.
Read the full article online.