Sometimes, finding all the voting information you need in one place is hard! Look no further, friends! ProgressNow NM is here for you every step of the way- from early voting and same-day registration to Election Day and voting locations. See below for a one-and-done guide to getting your vote on!
Important Dates (Statewide)
- October 8– Absentee Ballots Mailed
- October 8- November 2– Statewide in-person registration and early voting at County Clerk’s Offices, 8am-5pm.
- October 19-November 2– Statewide expanded early voting. Times vary by location.
- October 19-November 2– Bernalillo & Sandoval County in-person registration and expanded early voting, 8am-8pm.
- Tuesday, November 5– Election Day voting is 7am-7pm
FAQ About Same-Day Registration and Voting (Statewide)
- Help! I’m still not registered to vote for the November 2019 election!
No problem. If you go to your County Clerk’s office, you can register and vote on the same day during the Early Voting period! If you are in Albuquerque, you can register and vote in person, at any of the Early Voting Centers from October 19th to November 2nd. This applies to new registrations and address updates.
- Can I register to vote on Election Day?
No. If you’d like to register and vote on the same day, it must be during the early voting period.
- Can I register and vote at any early vote center?
Only in Bernalillo and Sandoval counties. In other counties, if you’d like to register and vote on the same day, you’ll need to do so at your County Clerk’s Office during early voting.
- I’d like to register to vote online for the November 2019 election. What’s the deadline? October 8, 2019.
- I’d like to register to vote at MVD for the November 2019 election. What’s the deadline? October 8, 2019.
- I’d like to register to vote with a Voter Registration Agent for the November 2019 election. What’s the deadline?
It’s uncertain to tell when the VRA will turn in your registration, so we recommend registering and voting on the same day during the Early Voting period, from October 8th to November 2nd. If you are in Albuquerque or Sandoval counties, register to vote at any of the Early Voting Centers from October 19th to November 2nd.
Progressive Ballot Initiatives (ABQ)
YES on Democracy Dollars (Proposition #2)- Too many elections are decided by a small group of rich, political donors. Democracy Dollars (Prop 2) is the solution. It gives candidates the freedom and incentive to talk to the people again and allows us to improve our public financing system without raising taxes!
YES on APS Bond AND Mill Levy – Let’s get real: the physical conditions in many of our schools are unacceptable. We can’t expect the best from educators and students and leave them in sub-par teaching and learning conditions. Voting YES for the bond AND mill levy will not increase taxes. It simply allows us to continue at the current tax rate and releases money that goes toward books, music and PE programs as well as infrastructure (including water pipes!) at schools built over 40 years ago.
Ranked Choice Voting (Doña Ana)
Thanks to the City of Las Cruces, our community now has access to some great information on ranked-choice voting!
- With RCV, you get to rank the candidates from favorite to least favorite.
- For a candidate to win, they must receive a majority of the vote (50% +1).
- If a candidate gets a majority of first preference votes, they win!
- If no candidate gets a majority of first preference votes, the candidate with the fewest first-preference votes is eliminated. Voters who picked this candidate as their #1 now have their 2nd preference vote count. If a candidate gets a majority, they win!
Still confused? Click here for more information, including videos about ranked-choice voting.
Where Can I Early Vote?
(Santa Fe, Bernalillo, Doña Ana, Sandoval Counties)
Thanks to our progressive partners, we have a comprehensive list of early voting sites, including information about dates, times and whether you can *also* register to vote on the same day!
Be sure to share this information far and wide. And who knows… you might even get your unregistered prima to go the polls, register and vote with you!
Do you know of any progressive ballot initiatives we should be looking out for? Email email@example.com.