ProgressNow New Mexico (PN) and ProgressNow Education Fund (PNEF) seek a strong, experienced, and visionary Executive Director.
PN/PNEF are nonprofit, nonpartisan, grassroots communications and advocacy organizations working to unite, empower, and enhance the progressive voice in New Mexico.
The Executive Director of PN, a 501(c)(4), and PNEF, a 501(c)(3), leads with a focus on the missions and a clear vision for how to support the Boards of Directors (Boards) of both organizations, guide staff members, and collaborate with community partners.
Together with the Boards, staff, and partners, the Executive Director identifies funding, develops programs, strategically aligns activities, and uses a variety of communication tools to promote progressive issues and policies, support the work of partner organizations, and correct public misinformation.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
● Develop and communicate a clear vision for the success of PN/PNEF. Generate and implement bold, creative, and innovative strategies to accomplish the mission and to support partner organizations.
● Build new relationships and maintain existing relationships, including in multi-cultural environments and through multi-cultural communication and awareness.
● Represent the vision and missions of PN/PNEF, and when appropriate, the progressive movement in New Mexico.
Political and Policy Engagement
● With staff, boards, and partner organizations, research and share knowledge of political leaders, policy environment, advocacy opportunities, and political campaigns.
● Engage with policy makers, synthesize complex policy ideas, and prioritize resources to connect and promote policies.
● Facilitate communications efforts of progressive partners and coalitions; work to share understanding of New Mexico policy and political issues, opportunities, and challenges.
● Build staff and partner organizations’ knowledge and expertise of digital media, videos, ads, and other communication tools to share powerful, concise, and engaging stories, editorials, and other messaging.
● Organize communication with members and align messaging to promote PN/PNEF’s vision and mission, support partner organizations’ work and progressive ideals, and to hold progressive opponents accountable.
● Engage in written, media, and public speaking opportunities to support messaging goals.
● Work with the Boards to ensure adequate funds are available to carry out the PN/PNEF missions, including through the creative integration of digital strategies and communications and presentations at funder conferences.
● Develop ongoing relationships with donors and prospective donors, steward donor gifts, and devote adequate time and staff resources to fundraising efforts necessary to meet the budget.
● Research, apply for, and manage reporting for appropriate grant support for the organization and specific projects. Support partner organizations as needed for their or collaborative grants.
● Provide fiscal and grants administration, oversee all financial systems, manage organizational budget including monthly reporting of revenue and expenses, and ensure accountability, transparency, and integrity.
● Support the Boards in long-range strategy development and in evaluating key organizational partnerships and establishing appropriate MOUs or other agreements.
● Work with Board Chairs to ensure best practices, including regular schedule of and meaningful agendas for board meetings, board understanding of governance responsibilities, and board member engagement in donor stewardship and fund development.
● Report regularly to Boards on budget, expenses, and revenue including grants, contracts, and donations, review of policies and procedures, staffing, and program development.
Staff and Program Management
● Lead, inspire, support, and supervise a diverse and talented staff team to accomplish the mission and goals of the organization. Ensure direct, open, and positive communication with staff to ensure clarity of vision, mission, goals, and activities.
● Implement sound human resource practices, including regular performance evaluations, staff development, and education.
● Update or create job descriptions, develop work plans, and establish clear goals with and for each staff member. Schedule regular meetings with staff members to discuss activities, build plans, and ensure progress toward goals.
Community Partner Support
● Build and maintain open communication and trust with partner organizations. Establish strong working relationships and cooperative arrangements with allies, partners, and other organizations. Support differing viewpoints and bring them together for the greater good.
● Identify the role of PN/PNEF in collaborative efforts and coalitions; communicate that role clearly and transparently. Deliver on commitments to partners. Take the lead, pull groups together, and/or play a supportive role as appropriate and needed. In certain cases, ensure messaging is in service of larger movements.
● Ensure PN/PNEF act as important strategic partners, particularly with the other infrastructure groups—the c3, c4, and donor table—and the partners who sit at those tables.
● Maintain the stability of ProgressNow through sound financial management, reasoned program and project selection, and staff support.
● Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations for 501c3, 501c4, and PAC organizations.
● Comply with all reporting requirements, manage necessary systems including staff time tracking and grant alignment, establish policies and procedures, prepare and manage annual budgets.
Required and Preferred Skills
The Executive Director must have experience and proven skills in the following areas:
● Passion for and commitment to the mission and ideals of PN/PNEF; committed to social justice and equity.
● Nonprofit Administration: nonprofit regulations compliance; financial accountability, developing and managing budgets; board development, management, and support; agility and flexibility.
● Resource Development: grant management and reporting; fundraising including donor relations.
● Staff Management: staff and time management and project prioritization; building, managing, supporting, and supervising a team; team-player and hard worker—leading by example.
● Communications: excellent oral and written communication skills, including public speaking; digital skills or experience; positive and supportive interpersonal communication skills.
The following skills and experience are preferred:
● Prior engagement in political campaigns, with elected officials, and/or advocacy organizations and/or experience in labor, political, or community organizing and campaign communications.
● Experience developing and successfully implementing fast-paced and high-impact print, television, radio and online campaigns, including an understanding of data-driven campaigns and how to use data to measure impact.
● Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining relationships with members of the media, elected leaders, non-profit leaders, and funders.
The salary range for this position is $70,000 – $85,000. Benefits include health care, dental/vision, and paid time off.
Though a majority of the work is performed in an office during regular business hours, the Executive Director is often sought out as a speaker, consultant, or participant in evening or weekend events that may include town halls, legislative hearings, conferences, and partner meetings. Some in-state and out-of-state travel is required.
PN/PNEF is an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, immigrant, bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the LGBTQI communities.
How to Apply
Please send your résumé and a cover letter to Jill Riester at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter must detail your commitment to the missions of PN/PNEF as well as why and how your experience, skills, and background make you the best candidate. Please include “ProgressNow ED” in the email subject line.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the successful candidate has been selected. Delta Consulting Group is providing support for the hiring process, and questions regarding this posting should be directed to the aforementioned email address. No phone calls, please.